In order for this statement to be true bowlers better take some wickets! Here are some tips from Ferox Cricket that a bowler could consider:
- Try to get batters out when you practice. This doesn’t mean you have to try get them out every ball, but have a goal to dismiss the batter when you bowl at them.
- Know your strengths – execute this ball as much as you can. Think Mitch Starc vs Pat Cummins in a bowled/lbw contest. Knowing that Starc gets 39% of his dismissals via Bowled/LBW vs Cummins 19% (Test Matches), who would you turn to for a Bowled/LBW dismissal. It would be fair to say that Starc practices bowling full swinging deliveries at practice.
- Understand your weaknesses. Communicate this with your Captain and Coaches. Work on them at practice.
- Once you have identified both strengths and weaknesses. Be disciplined and practice them. Working on both is equally important!
- Have a plan to remove a batter. Bowlers will need to be creative at times to remove batters. Enjoy the contest!
- Be attacking where possible, attack the batter and get them out! Don’t be scared if a batter scores runs, keep hunting them!